My pal Becky wrote a post about embracing a word for a resolution. It sounds so much easier than resolving to change something about yourself and going gung-ho for the first few weeks of a new year, only to fail and be upset that you're a failure.
*On a side note, can I just say that I can't wait for the "lose weight" resolvers to quit so that my classes at the gym aren't so crowded?
So I've decided to embrace the one-word resolution. I can live with a word. Heck, I need to live by a word.
2009 seemed like such a tough year for most people. Sadly, at least for me, the challenges presented were met with negativity. That negativity festered, and resulted in even more negativity. People around me were negative too, and that fueled my negativity even more. But 2010 is a new year, a new decade. And a word, one word, can make so much difference. So my word for 2010? My mantra, if you will.
For 2010, I plan to surround myself with optimism. I'm putting the good vibe out in the universe and seeing what will happen. Surely I will be faced with challenges, and there will be some days that are harder than others and I won't be as optimistic as I want to be, but I don't want the perma rain cloud hanging over my head again.
For 2010, I'm celebrating the little victories.
- My boyfriend is under employed, but he's at least got some income coming in.
- I'm enjoying going to the gym, even at 7 a.m.
- I'm going to the Dominican Republic in 2 months with Stephen and his family for some R&R, and I can afford it without dipping into my savings.
- I'll witness some of my dearest friends pledge their eternal commitment to the men they'll spend the rest of their lives with.
- I'm happy, I'm healthy, and my God is good.
Along the way I'll document the small victories I achieve. I can't promise it will be every day, but I'll try to make it as often as possible. And if you sense I'm getting a little down and negative in my posts, call me out. I promise I won't mind.